After baking a gluten free version I had my hairdresser and his wife try some. The verdict is that they taste almost identical to the wheat version and “you can’t tell they are gluten free”.
The dough spreads out to twice the size, so start with a log half the size of the cookies that you want. The dough needs to be well chilled before baking to keep its shape. Be sure to cool the baked logs for about 15 minutes before slicing them to prevent them from crumbling. Since the nuts are ground up these are easier to slice than biscotti with whole almonds.
The biscotti will keep well in a cookie tin for at least 2 weeks, if there are any left. You can also freeze the logs of dough and bake later.
GLUTEN FREE WALNUT PEPPER BISCOTTI
Makes about 60 2-inch cookies
|1 cup||Sorghum Flour|
|1/2 cup||Tapioca Flour|
|1/2 cup||Chickpea Flour|
|1/2 tsp.||Xanthan Gum|
|3/4 tsp.||Baking Powder|
|1/2 tsp.||Baking Soda|
|1/8 tsp.||Sea Salt|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Black Pepper|
|1/2 cup||Unsalted Butter - For Dairy Free use Margarine|
|3/4 cups||Sugar (I used evaporated cane juice crystals)|
|1 Tbs.||Grated Orange Zest - about 1 orange|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Vanilla Extract|
|1/4 tsp.||Almond Extract|
|1 cup||Chopped Walnuts|
- In a small bowl add all the flours, xanthan gum, salt, pepper, baking powder and baking soda. Stir together with a whisk or fork until well blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer add the soft butter and sugar. Cream together well.
- Add the eggs, orange zest, vanilla and almond extract and blend together well.
The Dry ingredients on the left and the Wet ones on the right.
Ready to be mixed together.
- All at once add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix together well.
- Add the chopped walnuts and stir in.
Adding the chopped walnuts.
- Form the dough into 5 logs about 1” wide. The dough will double in size while baking, so the 1” wide raw dough log will make 2” wide baked logs. Refrigerate the dough logs for at least 2 hours or overnight. Use wet hands to shape the dough so it won’t stick to your hands. I wrapped it in plastic wrap and rolled it into shape.
The dough divided into 5 logs, each wrapped in plastic wrap.
Ready to go into the fridge for a few hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or silpat mats.
Chilled logs of dough on a silpat mat.
Lots of space to allow for the dough to spread out during baking.
- Place the logs of dough on the prepared baking sheets and leave plenty of space between the logs to allow for the dough to spread.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until the dough lightly browned.
- Allow the baked logs to cool at least 15 minutes before slicing into individual cookies about 1” wide.
Cooled log cut into 1-inch wide slices.
- Place the baked sliced cookies cut side down on a baking sheet.
Slices placed cut sides down on a baking sheet.
Ready to bake a second time.
- Bake the sliced cookies a second time in the oven for 15 minutes. There is no need to turn the cookies over during the second baking.
Twice baked GF Walnut Pepper Biscotti.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing in an airtight container or cookie tin.
- You can freeze the raw dough wrapped in plastic wrap until later use.
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I love to hear what you think about the blog and the recipe.