Posted by Bryna Bear aka Gluten Free Baking Bear
I love peanut butter, but never liked peanut butter cookies. I looked at a recipe and realized why I didn’t like them, too much sugar. There is at least twice as much sugar in a typical peanut butter cookie recipe than in any other cookie recipe. Using less sugar I created this peanut butter cookie recipe with oats. You can make them with butter and eggs or vegan without dairy or eggs. Chocolate chips, coconut and/or nuts are optional but recommended. Anyway you make them these taste delicious. Yummy and different everyone will love these substantial cookies.
GLUTEN FREE PEANUT BUTTER OATMEAL COOKIES
Makes about 48 cookies
|Sea Salt - OMIT if you use margarine or butter that is salted
|Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (optional)
|Melted Unsalted Butter - for Vegan & Dairy Free use melted margarine (I used Earth Balance Buttery Sticks) or olive oil
|Unsalted Smooth Peanut Butter - I use a peanut butter that contains only peanuts, this recipe could turn out differently it the peanut butter contains other ingredients such as sugar, oil, salt, preservatives, etc.
|Sugar - I used evaporated cane juice crystals
|Eggs - for Vegan use 1/2 cup water
|Vanilla Extract - I used 1/2 tsp. Loranne Butter Vanilla Emulsion & 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract.
|Gluten Free Oats - Old Fashioned not quick cooking
|Chocolate Chips - for Vegan or Dairy Free use Vegan or Dairy Free Chips (optional)
|Walnuts or Pecans or Roasted Peanuts - chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or silpat pads.
- In a medium bowl add the flours, salt (if using), baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and coconut. Use a whisk to mix together well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the melted butter (or margarine or oil) and sugar. Mix well then add the peanut butter, eggs (or water for vegan) and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
Wet ingredients on left & dry on the right.
Ready to be combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir together well.
- Add the oats and if using, the nuts and chocolate chips. Mix in well.
Dough all mixed.
- Using a scoop that measures 1 1/2-inches in diameter portion out dough onto the prepared baking sheets leaving 2-inches between portions.
- With a fork flatten out each ball of dough then turn the fork and flatten the dough to make a cross pattern that is typical with a peanut butter cookie.
Cookies flattened with a fork in two directions to make a cross pattern.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until the edges and bottoms are golden brown. For a softer cookie bake at the lesser time until the cookies are barely golden. The longer cooking time makes a crisper cookie.
- Store in a tin or airtight container for one week. You can freeze the cookies for longer storage.
|What the inside looks like.
This batch was Vegan.