Posted by Bryna Bear aka Gluten Free Baking Bear
Magic cookies have oats, coconut, carrots, pecans and chocolate chips. The restaurant makes them very large. I use a smaller scoop and make them the size of a typical cookie. They are soft and chewy and very delicious but, you are duly warned, a bit addictive. Everyone loves them.
GLUTEN FREE VEGAN MAGIC COOKIES
Makes 4 dozen 2-inch cookies or 9 large cookies about 5-inches wide.
|1/2 cup||Sorghum Flour|
|1/4 cup||Tapioca Flour (or Corn Starch or Arrowroot Flour)|
|1/4 cup||Chickpea Flour|
|3/4 cup||Carrots - Shredded|
|1 cup||Shredded Coconut - Unsweetened|
|1 cup||Vegan* Sugar - I use Evaporated Cane Juice Crystals|
|1 cup||Rolled Oats - Gluten Free|
|1 tsp.||Baking Powder|
|1/2 tsp.||Xanthan Gum|
|1/4 tsp.||Sea Salt|
|2 Tbs.||Coconut Oil - Melted (to use butter or margarine replace the coconut and canola oils with 6 Tbs. of melted butter or margarine.)|
|1/4 cup||Canola Oil (to use butter or margarine see note above)|
|2 tsp.||Vanilla Extract (I used 1 tsp. vanilla and one tsp. Lorann Butter Vanilla Emulsion.)|
|2/3 cups||Chocolate Chips - For Soy-Free I used Soy-Free “Enjoy Life” brand mini chips.|
|2 cups||Pecans - Chopped|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- In a large bowl add the flours, carrots, coconut, sugar, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum and oats. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add the coconut and canola oils, water, vanilla, pecans and chocolate chips. Mix well.
Dry Ingredients on left & Wet Ingredients on right.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together well.
Dough all mixed and ready to be scooped out.
- For smaller cookies: With a scoop that measures 1 1/2-inches across portion out the dough onto the prepared cookie sheets. For larger cookies: Use a 1/4 cup scoop (about 2 - 2 1/2-inches across).
- Space cookies 2-inches apart.
Dough on cookie sheet cookies in the front are not yet flattened.
- Flatten out the mounds of dough with wet hands.
- Bake 10-12 minutes for smaller cookies and 10-15 minutes for larger ones. The cookies will be golden brown when done. Do not over bake.
The middle cookie is upside down to show the browned bottom.
- Cool on the baking sheet for 2 or 3 minutes before transferring cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
These are products and brands I like and use: