Simple, but tasty, this classic coffee cake is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. I converted a recipe from Mollie Katzen’s Sunlight Cafe cookbook into a gluten free one. The last time I made this I was eating wheat, so it has been a while. Still as good as I remember, I like that there are nuts and cinnamon-sugar on top instead of crumble. I made it in the shape of a heart. Since it is February, with all the valentine decorations, I like to have hearts everywhere all month long.
GLUTEN FREE COFFEE CAKE
|1/2 cup (1stick)||Unsalted Butter (for dairy free use margarine)|
|1 tsp.||Vanilla Extract|
|1 cup||Sorghum Flour|
|1/4 cup||Chickpea Flour|
|1/4 cup||Tapioca Flour|
|1/2 tsp.||Xanthan Gum|
|1/2 tsp.||Sea Salt|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Baking Powder|
|1/4 tsp.||Baking Soda|
|1/2 cup||Buttermilk (If you do not have buttermilk add 1/2 Tbs. of vinegar to the milk. For dairy free use non-dairy milk such as almond, soy or coconut.)|
|2 Tbs.||Brown Sugar - packed|
|1/2 cup||Walnuts or Pecans - chopped (optional)|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8-inch square or round pan by greasing it with cooking spray.
- Beat the butter and 1/3 cup of sugar together with an electric mixer or in a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat in well.
- In a separate bowl add the flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk together until well mixed.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir in with a spatula until just blended. Add 1/2 the milk mixture and blend in with the spatula until just mixed. Repeat. End by mixing in the remaining 1/3 of the flour mixture.
Batter all mixed.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts (optional).
- Sprinkle the sugar cinnamon mixture evenly over the top of the batter in the pan.
Raw batter in the pan topped with sugar mixture.
- Bake in the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely. Or, if you plan to serve the cake directly from the pan, cool in the pan 15 minutes before cutting.
Close-up of a slice of Gluten Free Coffee Cake.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days. You can freeze the pieces for longer storage. Warm up the leftover pieces before serving.