The cake is moist and light with a harmonious blend of spices where one spice does not over power any other. This recipe is quite forgiving. I made a few errors adding the ingredients at the wrong times and in the wrong way when mixing the batter and it still came out great with dome shaped tops.
I was so happy with how the cupcakes turned out. The Spice Cupcakes are absolutely delicious and the orange frosting goes perfectly with the spices.
GLUTEN FREE SPICE CUPCAKES
Makes 12 cupcakes
Recipe can be doubled with good results.
|3/4 cup||Sorghum Flour|
|1/4 cup||Chickpea Flour|
|1/4 cup||Tapioca Starch|
|1/2 tsp.||Xanthan Gum|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Baking Powder|
|1/2 tsp.||Baking Soda|
|1/2 tsp.||Sea Salt|
|1 tsp.||Ground Ginger|
|1/2 tsp.||Ground Cinnamon|
|1/4 tsp.||Ground Nutmeg|
|1/4 tsp.||Ground Allspice|
|1/4 tsp.||Ground Cloves|
|3/4 cup||Brown Sugar (I used organic)|
|1/2 cup||Milk - For Dairy Free use non dairy milk such as almond, rice, etc.|
|1 tsp.||Vanilla Extract|
|1/2 cup||Butter-melted; For Dairy Free use Oil such as Olive or Canola|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins by putting a paper cupcake liner in each hole.
- In a large bowl add all the flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and spices. Mix together well.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, milk, vanilla and melted butter or oil. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together with an electric mixer until smooth and well blended.
Batter all mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 liners in the muffin tin.
Batter divided evenly and scooped into 12 liners.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Baking time will vary according to your oven.
Baked Spice Cupcakes.
- Frost the cupcakes, if desired, and enjoy fresh. The cupcakes will last at room temperature for 3 days. If you freeze the fresh cupcakes you can enjoy them later by thawing them for half an hour before eating them.
|1 cup||Shortening (non hydrogenated such as Spectrum)|
|2 cups||Confectioner’s Sugar (I did not sift it and it weighed 14 ounces)|
|1 tsp.||Vanilla Extract|
|1 tsp.||Orange Extract (I used natural flavor from Bakto Flavors, LLC)|
|2 Tbs.||Milk - For Dairy Free use dairy free milk such as Almond, etc.|
- Add all the ingredients to a deep bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until well blended, smooth and fluffy.
- Frost the cupcakes. You can use a knife to spread the frosting. You can also fill a pastry bag, fitted with the tip of your choice, with the frosting and decorate each cupcake.