I had not made bread pudding for a while. Usually I just throw things together without following any recipe. I knew this would not fly with the blog. Measurements are important when you want to repeat a recipe. I looked up a bread pudding recipe and then I used what I had on hand. There were two egg yolks and 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree from other baking. Since I would be bringing it to a meeting where a few people are dairy free, I used a can of coconut milk instead of regular milk.
The unbaked pudding ended up sitting in the fridge for a few hours. There was not enough time to bake it before I had to run out of the house. I like how it came out, nice and moist and soft without any hard or obvious bread cubes. The pumpkin flavor was delicate and delicious. It was devoured at one sitting.
GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDINGIngredients
|Gluten Free Bread Cubes - soft
|Eggs (I used 3 and the 2 yolk I had on hand.)
|Pumpkin Puree (not pie filling)
|1 1/2 cups
|Milk - For Dairy Free use non-dairy milk (I used a 13.5 ounce can of full fat Coconut Milk and omitted oil or butter)
|Butter or Margarine or Oil (if using a can of full fat Coconut Milk omit the butter or margarine or oil.
|Ginger (dried and ground not fresh)
- I used a Corning Ware glass 2 quart oval casserole. You can use an 8x8 or 9x9 square baking pan. Grease the pan and put the bread cubes inside. Use a pan where the bread will fit with at least 3/4 of an inch to spare at the top.
Bread cubes in a Corning Ware pan that is about 3" deep.
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a bowl.
All the ingredients except the bread.
The coconut milk stayed in lumps.
This is OK, it melts when hot and blends right into the pudding.
- Pour the liquid over the bread cubes. You may need to stir the cubes to cover them all with the liquid.
Bread cubes right after the liquid is poured over them.
- Allow it to sit until all the bread is soft and moistened.
Bread cubes after soaking for a few hours (while I ran errands).
Ready to go into the oven.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake about 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted two inches from the edge comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Baked Pumpkin Bread Pudding with a piece taken out.