I decided to make it again and experiment with various frostings and also to play around with my new cupcake surprise pan. The surprise pan has spikes in the middle of each cupcake mold. The spike holds a treat in the center of the batter so it won’t float up or down during baking.
|Surprise pan with paper liners. First a little batter is put in the bottom of each cup.|
Then a candy or item of choice is put on the spike. Here there are peanut butter cups.
The rest of the batter is added on the top.
|A chocolate cake ball in pumpkin batter.|
On the right a cake ball is all covered.
In the front are pumpkin cake balls covered in chocolate batter.
|Cupcakes with cake ball polka dots inside.|
On the left cupcakes have Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.
On the right is Chocolate Glaze.
|Surprise cupcakes. On left with a peanut butter cup.|
On right with marshmallow that has mostly oozed out.
|The surprise cupcakes after being baked. Note the marshmallow ooze.|
The four frostings are Chocolate Glaze, Orange Glaze,
|Mini Bundt cake with Orange Glaze.|
|Mini Bundt cake with Brown Butter Frosting.|
Note the retro 'stucco' affect.
GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE & PUMPKIN SPICE SWIRL CAKE
Makes one bundt cake or 10-12 mini bundt cakes or 18-24 cupcakes.
|1 1/4 cup||Sorghum Flour|
|1/2 cup + 2 Tbs.||Tapioca Flour|
|1/2 cup + 2 Tbs.||Chickpea Flour|
|1 tsp.||Xanthan Gum|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Baking Powder|
|1 tsp.||Baking Soda|
|1/2 tsp.||Sea Salt|
|2 tsp.||Cinnamon (ground)|
|1/2 tsp.||Ginger (powdered)|
|1/4 tsp.||Cloves (ground)|
|1/8 tsp.||Nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)|
|1/4 cup||Melted Unsalted Butter or for Dairy Free use Oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil.)|
|3/4 cup||Sugar (I used evaporated cane juice crystals.)|
|1/2 cup||Brown Sugar (I used brown sugar evaporated cane juice crystals.)|
|2 tsp.||Vanilla (I used 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 tsp. Butter Vanilla-Lorann Brand.)|
|1 15-ounce can||Pumpkin Puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)|
|1/3 cup||Milk - For Dairy Free use nondairy milk (I used unsweetened Coconut Milk.)|
|1 cup||Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (For Dairy Free use dairy free chips.)|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 12 cup bundt pan, or mini bundt pans. For cup cakes use paper liners.
- Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and spices in a large bowl and stir with a whisk until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl add the sugars, oil or melted butter, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla and milk and mix together well until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until well combined.
The batter all combined.
- Melt the chocolate chips. (I put them in a microwavable bowl and melted the chips in the microwave. I ran the microwave at 30 second intervals and stirred each time. It took about 2 minutes in my oven. You can also melt them in a bowl over hot water or stir them constantly and melt them in a saucepan.)
Chocolate chips all melted.
- Set the melted chips aside and allow the hot chocolate to cool off before using (so you don’t cook the batter).
- Place half the batter in a bowl and add the chocolate. (If you melted the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave or over hot water you can add half the batter to the cooled off chocolate in the bowl. Just saying, saves washing another bowl.) Mix until well blended.
- Pour half of the plain pumpkin batter into the pan. Then pour all the chocolate batter on top. Pour the remaining plain pumpkin batter on top. The original directions said to give the pan a few good twists to mix the batter. This will result in three well separated layers of cake. If you want it to look more like a marble cake, run a knife through the batter several times going all around the cake.
Half of the pumpkin batter on the bottom,
starting to add chocolate batter on top.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the the cake springs back when gently pressed with a finger tip or until the center of the cake is 210 degrees. I found that a cake tester would not come out clean, even when done so I used a thermometer. In my oven it took about 55-60 minutes. The small bundt cakes took 30 minutes and the cupcakes took 25 minutes.
Cake balls in a cake pop pan. Use a kitchen shears to trim the edges. Cake all done. Cake on a plate.
|16 oz.||Cream Cheese - for Dairy Free use non-dairy cream cheese.|
|4 Tbs.||Unsalted Butter - for Dairy Free use margarine|
|1 cup||Confectioners Sugar|
|1 tsp.||Orange Extract (or to taste)|
|1 tsp.||Orange Zest|
|2 Tbs.(to 4 Tbs.)||Orange Juice - add more if needed to get the right consistency.|
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix together with an electric hand mixer until creamy, light and fluffy.
- If too thin add more powdered sugar a Tbs. at a time; if too thick add some orange juice a tsp. at a time until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Frost cake.
The inside of a Mini Bundt cake.
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I love to hear what you think about the blog and the recipe.