Posted by Bryna Bear aka Gluten Free Baking Bear
The results were fabulous. I love the taste, texture and low calorie content of the cake. Wheat recipes for angel food cake tend to be on the dry and not too tasty side from what I remember. Gluten free angel food cakes come out very moist and flavorful yet light, fluffy and airy too. I was not a fan of angel food cake before, but now this is a real treat for me and not a second class dessert.
I decided to make an orange glaze since pumpkin cake goes so well with orange, but you do not even need a glaze. I served the glaze on the side so my friends could choose and it became a fun experiment to see which way they liked it better. Most liked it with the glaze and all liked the cake plain. Unless you plan to eat the cake all at one sitting it is wise to keep the glaze on the side so the cake does not get soggy.
GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN SPICE ANGEL FOOD CAKE
|1/2 cup||Tapioca Flour|
|1/4 cup||Sorghum Flour|
|1/4 cup||Chickpea Flour|
|1/2 tsp.||Xanthan Gum|
|1/2 tsp.||Ginger (dry ground)|
|1/4 tsp.||Cloves (ground)|
|1/8 tsp.||Nutmeg (ground)|
|1 1/2 cups||Sugar - divided (I used organic evaporated cane juice crystals.)|
|1 1/2 cups/about 12 large||Egg Whites|
|1 Tbs.||Warm Water|
|1/2 tsp.||Sea Salt|
|1 1/2 tsp.||Cream of Tarter|
|1 tsp.||Vanilla Extract|
|3/4 cup||Pumpkin Puree|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You will need an ungreased tube or angel food pan.
- In a small bowl add the flours, xanthan gum, spices and 3/4 cup of the sugar. Stir until well mixed.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer add the egg whites and water and beat until foamy.
Egg whites and water beaten until foamy.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, cream of tarter, sea salt and vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form.
Egg white mixture beaten until stiff peaks formed.
- Fold in 1/6 of the flour mixture until well blended.
1/6 of the flour mixture on the whipped egg whites
ready to be folded in.
- Repeat with the remaining flour mixture until all the flour mixture is well incorporated. It is necessary to add the flour mixture in six parts to keep the batter light.
Flour mixture completely folded into the egg white mixture.
- Fold in the pumpkin puree until well incorporated.
Pumpkin on batter ready to be folded in.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased angel food or tube pan.
Batter in ungreased tube pan.
- Cut the batter several times by running a knife through it to allow the air bubbles to escape.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 40-45 minutes or until done. The cake will spring back when gently pressed with a finger when done.
Completely baked cake in pan.
- Immediately invert the pan onto a rack and cool completely upside down. This will allow the cake to stay light.
Cake cooking upside down on a rack.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan and remove the cake.
- Serve with the orange glaze if desired.
- The cake will keep three days. You can freeze left over slices and then thaw them for half an hour at room temperature when ready to eat them.